return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

We have a Colombian tegu

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Tegus ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: laurarfl at Mon Jul 2 07:57:29 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by laurarfl ]  

I didn't particularly seek out a Colombian, but she was in a package of reptiles I was picking up from a rescue. I did some research and prepared myself. When I got her, she was under a year old and I've had her for a year. My 13yo daughter loves her and spends a lot of time working with her. Oreo is a constant project, but is pretty predictable, still she can never be taken for granted. After a year of consistent handling, a lot of scent recognition, and gentle handling, she seems to enjoy coming out of her cage. We homeschool, so my daughter takes Oreo out to snuggle while she reads (Oreo likes to hide under a blanket "cave". Oreo wears a leash and can go outside in short bursts. Even after a year, she stresses easily outside of her cage, huffs and postures at us through her cage, and tail whips. I'm sure she'll always be like this. She's not like an Argentine who's going to follow you around the house and sit on your shoulder.

As for the CB from the pet store, it means Captive Born or Captive Bred and really means....not much in this case. I don't know of any quality large breeders of Colombians. I think the CB probably indicates a farm raised hatchling without much human contact. It could also mean someone imported the clutch of eggs and the lizards hatched in captivity, so they are technically Captive Born. I don't think it will make a difference in the behavior of the lizard. I wouldn't purchase a WC, for that would be a truly flighty teguixin!

Don't be offended by the maturity remark. It may not have come across well, but I think the poster meant well. These are not the easiest lizards to keep and I wouldn't recommend one as a first lizard pet. The low price interests people who cannot afford an Argentine, but they are not they same! The low price is a product of demand...Colombians are not desirable, so the price stays low. The handler of this lizard has to stick to some serious boundaries and read behavior pretty well. Absolutely no hand feeding, no showing it off to friends because it's cool and stressing the lizard, lots of patience and sometimes not as much handling as you might like. My daughter has been bitten a few times, although not terribly. Oreo has quite a set of jaws on her and some sharp little teeth, too! The bottom line is that it's not about the person, but finding a suitable home for the lizard.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: lookin at a golden - majesty, Fri Jun 8 16:28:41 2007