return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gecko . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - May 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - June 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

MN Press: Snapping turtles need help

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Snapping Turtles ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: W von Papineäu at Tue Jul 10 13:09:56 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by W von Papineäu ]  

POST-BULLETIN (Rochester, Minnesota) 05 July 07 Sometimes, even snapping turtles need a little help (Tom Ryan)
I have never lost a digit or a body part to the defensive strike and/or bite of a snapping turtle. Popular myth regarding these rugged creatures might allow us to believe that they have swallowed their share of fingers and toes, but I'm skeptical.
Perhaps all of the hype about snappers is due to the most common reaction people have when they see one. It usually goes like this.
"Whoa, look there, a huge snapper! Hey, I know -- get a stick and put it where he can bite at it!"
If the turtle is big enough, the stick usually takes a beating, and I have had turtles snap smaller sticks in two when I've goaded the turtle enough into taking a bite.
I like these animals because seeing one of them instantly turns me into an 11-year-old again. It's almost a given that when I bump into a snapper, I have to mess with it a little bit. I have a hard time not joshing around with these pugnacious reptiles.
I see little harm in it, as long as my fun only lasts a couple of minutes and I then let the creature go on its way. Maybe I mess with snappers because it would be really dumb to trifle with, say, a bear or a mountain lion. I'm kind of an expert in knowing which critters to needle, and I offer this proven truth to back up my claim -- I have never been pursued, taken down, and mauled by a turtle.
Ever.
June, and to a lesser degree July, are fabulous times to spot these critters along our ponds, creeks, and rivers. And while you may occasionally see them basking in the sun like other turtles, it's far more common to see them along a road, or near a transition zone, like where the water's edge meets a sandy bank or in a meadow above a creek.
Know this: If you see a snapping turtle along a road, its life is in mortal danger. Lots of turtles, not just snappers, die on our roads. Most of the turtles you see in these situations are females, and they are either en route to a sandy area to excavate a hole to lay eggs, or returning to the water after doing so. In either case, many are crushed by vehicles. And while death is a natural part of life, a senseless death saddens me.
How can a guy who hunts and likes to fish say that, you ask? Because I can, that's why. I make no apology for being a sportsman. But, when I see a turtle on the road, and when it's safe to do so, I will aid it in getting to the other side. I take note of where its headed, and simply help it get there.
Sometimes I pick them up, and other times I just shoo them along with my foot. The problem with snappers is that they don't like being pushed, and they often turn and stand their ground, which is why they often seem to view good Samaritans as tormentors. What's not to admire about that?
Please take the time to learn more facts about some of less-celebrated creatures in our natural world. If indeed you believe that our lives are enriched by the things we learn, see, and experience, then your life will more enriched learning about snapping turtles, and how we humans impact their population.
Few animals are as tough, or as sensitive to the quality of our streams, rivers, lakes and ponds.
Sometimes, even snapping turtles need a little help

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]