return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

SHL Update and Observation New Video

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Horned Lizards ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Bluemax1969 at Wed Aug 29 16:53:07 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Bluemax1969 ]  

Our five New Guys are 3 months old today. I hope you all got to see the video of the birth. I recently posted a long-overdue explanation of our husbandry techniques. If you missed it, follow the thread for New Guys below.

This new video is no big deal…. simply practicing my newfound computer skills. However, I want to note that I did not teach her how to do this. It is innate behavior. She is the only one of the New Guys to do this.

My Observation: During their third month, the little male (second from the right in the photo) became a more aggressive eater and obviously out-paced the girls in growth. Where the girls primarily wait for prey to come to them, he will pursue prey all over the cage. He gets up earlier to pick off the left-overs and stays up later to clean up the cage. His hemes are growing, almost as if he was going through puberty. I have noticed this sexual dimorphism in the wild. The younger males are larger than same-aged females. After one year, however, the males will get a little larger but the girls will grow twice their size. All of this makes sense when you realize that one-year-old males are sexually mature but it takes a couple of years before the females are. It seems to me that this difference in size is greater in SHLs than in other species. I have seen photos of mating behavior where typically the male will grab on to the horns of the female. Our one-year-old male was not tall enough so he resorted to grabbing on to the flap of skin that covers the ear holes. I have photos of their mating behavior if anyone is interested.

In the second photo, you will notice that I have taught our little male to roll over and play dead.

Bluemax

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

• You Are HereSHL Update and Observation New Video - Bluemax1969, Wed Aug 29 16:53:07 2007 image in post

>> Next topic:  Horned lizard not eating...help - worm, Thu Sep 20 18:39:54 2007
<< Previous topic:  Baby P. modestum - Will A., Sat Aug 25 19:24:13 2007