return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Thinking about a Dragon...

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Frilled Dragons ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Breaker at Wed Sep 26 19:10:56 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Breaker ]  

I have a frilled dragon and it is a bit more complicated to take care of, but its ok if an adult is doing the work. They are a very tame dragon especially if held a lot. WHen i first got mine, she would frill and hiss at me, but never bit me, and i would pick her up while she was hissing at me. frilled dragons a bit more complicated to take care than a bearded dragon, but i think it makes up for it in thier active behavior and great personality. First ill give you a few heads up and then go into the care guide. Ok, the tank that you will need when it is an adult will need to be fairly big/expensive, bearded dragons do not need a lot of hieght or need to more around, but frilleds do or they will become unhappy and die. If your ready to buy or construct a 2.5x2.5x4 cage as a minimum to a 4x4x5 cage as a "spacey" habitat, then you can buy a frilled dragon. Males get a little bit bigger, but also seem to be the friendlier sex (to humans, not to other lizards).

Other Specifications

Need UVB light and heat lamp, basking spot needs to be about 90-95 degrees (F). Let it get to be about mid 70s at night (For me i just turn off the lights and it gets to mid 70s)

Feed gut loaded crickets everyday (for babies-juveniles), every other day for adults. YOu can feed a frilled other things than crickets but if you wanna kno specifically then just ask. And remember to dust them with Calcium with vitamin D4 and herpative. I do the calcium 3 times a week, and the herpative 1 or 2 times. BUT always gutloaded.

Humidity is very important for frilleds. If theres too much it causes ling problems, not enough, then there is a problem with shedding. I find the only safe area is about 55-70. I have run into shedding problems and such, so I know fairly well.

As a baby and juvenile, I would use repti-carpet(If your ready to mist every hour or so), but i think the best substrate is Fest bed expandable substrate, cheap, easy to clean, digestible, and makes the cage look nice.

You need to have plenty of things for the frilled to climb on. I would use a few pieces of wood and some fake plants. I use real plants to secure humidity, although... she seems to like the fake ones better... but its good to have a combination of both. And the real plants will grow into the substrate i listed (forest bed).

When they are babies(0-5 months) a small tank of 30 gallons is fine. (5months-10months) a 40-50 gallon is fine. When it gets close to being its first birthday, its time to consider the bigger tank. The only reason why i say that 2.5x2.5x4 is the minmum is because its the only affordable thing that people are willing to buy. http://www.reptarium.com/
Although i would go with the 2.5x2.5x6 if your gunna be cheap about it.

THey need a good water bowl that they can sit in without thier head going under, that needs to be changes every other day if they are "going" in it, and maybe 2 times a week if they are not.

Offer 12 hours of lights a day, 13-14 in the summer months... lets think what am i missing, i know........
DO not use heatpads or heat rocks for the love of god....

well thats pretty much it, if you have any more questions feel free to ask.

I hope to breed them next year because IMO they are the best reptile pet to have. Just my opinon...

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  Thinking about a Dragon... - jlynnstites, Mon Sep 24 11:27:24 2007