return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
RodentPro.com - feeders for less!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Looking for Prospects

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Rear-Fanged ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: BillyBoy at Sun Sep 30 18:34:13 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by BillyBoy ]  

Personally, I think you need to do more research and find what exactly it is that strikes that cord with you and more importantly why. What's your motivation for getting something so different? Is it the challenge of caring for something that there is not much known about? The status of having something venomous, but not really dangerous? So many of the commonly available snakes are absolutely beautiful and have very interesting personalities and habits. By default, they are also often captive-bred and come in a myriad of different color and pattern morphs and are often bred for temperament as well .

With that said, I have some less commonly available snakes that I hope to learn more about and hopefully breed and make available. My "oddballs" are Spilotes pullatus aka tiger rat snakes, two different species of Telescopus (tiger snakes from Africa - rear-fanged but not dangerous) and amazon tree boas (not really oddballs, but less common than alot of the snakes you mentioned). None of the above are cuddly snakes and I saw in one of your posts that you weren't sure about an amazon because of their temperaments. Again, I ask you what your motivation is? If you want something to show off to your friends and handle all the time and not worry about being bitten, stick to something of the more common variety. Due to the very nature of what you are looking for, many of the less commonly available snakes are not very good "pet" snakes. If they were, they would be more commonly available. Many are a challenge to work with due to dietary needs, size, temperament, etc. So you see, it might be that you can't have it both ways.

Well, I guess I've rambled enough, so here's some pics...

Billy

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Looking for Prospects - Serpents_Touch, Sun Sep 30 18:55:29 2007
>> Next Message:  RE: Looking for Prospects - blastbeat, Wed Oct 3 15:15:44 2007

<< Previous Message:  Looking for Prospects - Serpents_Touch, Thu Sep 27 08:16:12 2007