return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Nikon D40X vs. Canon XTI

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Photography Forum ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: chrish at Tue Oct 9 17:53:54 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by chrish ]  

I called 3 camera stores, and got a billion different answers....2 of the 3 recommended the Nikon over the Canon.

First of all, you should consider your other options as well. There are good cameras at this level by Nikon, Canon, Sony, Pentax, Olympus, etc. You shouldn't assume that because a camera says Canon or Nikon on the front that it is superior.
Also, be aware that most camera store employees have limited experience using different brands of cameras. In some places, like Ritz/Wolf, that experiences is VERY limited. Many people have only ever used one brand and they will tell you it is superior. It isn't. All these companies make great products.

You might want to compare the offerings from some of the major brands in this category. You can do that at this link.

That website (dpreview.com) also has in depth reviews of each of these cameras, done by someone who has actually used all of them. When you post questions online, you usually get responses from people who have only ever used one brand. At the end of each review, Phil compares the camera to the competitors as well. This is a great place to start.

Also, consider buying your camera online. You can save some serious money, but beware of some online dealers. B&H Photo is very reputable and you can trust them to get you exactly what you order at a very competitive price. There are others that will underprice them a little, but they rip you off on accessories, etc.

1) I'd like to keep the camera a minimum of 2 years

Remember you are buying a system here, not just a camera. You may replace your body in 2 years, but you will certainly want to get into a system where you can retain lenses, flashes, etc. when you do.

2) Over time, I would like to upgrade the kit lens for close up shots of rattlesnakes (safely close that is)

I would recommend not even getting the kit lens and buying a decent lens to start with. The Sigma 17-70 DC Macro gets rave reviews, is sharp at all focal lengths, and has excellent macro capability. It comes in all mounts. There are some excellent reviews online of this lens.
It is more expensive than a kit lens, but that's because it is a better lens. You would actually save money by buying it up front because you wouldn't have to replace it later with a dedicated macro lens.

3) which brand allows for more 2nd party accessories

Generally, there are more third party accessories in the Nikon followed by Canon followed by Sony (Minolta) then the Pentax mounts.
However, that said, I use Sony/Minolta gear and there aren't any third party accessories I can't get that I would use. Sure, there are some $10,000 lenses that I can't get in my mount, but I'm not looking at them anyway.

You can't go wrong with the big three - Canon, Nikon, Sony. The Pentax K10D is a great camera body but you do have a few less choices on autofocus lenses and flashes (but it is improving every day!).

One thing I would suggest is that you should seriously consider image stabilization and a dust protection system. I have used camera with and without those features and the difference they make is huge. In the Sony and Pentax, you get it in the camera body. In Nikon and Canon, you have to pay for it with each separate lens.

The best advice I can give, however, is to go to the store, pick up and try each body and decide based on how it feels in your hand and how easy it is for you to use. That's a big deal.

You should total up the things you will want ober the next 2 years (body, flash, lenses, etc). Then price them in each camera line, using an online catalog like B&H. See which one is a better deal.

Chris
-----
Chris Harrison
San Antonio, Texas

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  Nikon D40X vs. Canon XTI - lepidus-klauberi, Fri Oct 5 19:02:21 2007