return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

building mole salamander habitat,need he

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Salamanders & Newts ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: manumuskin43 at Mon Oct 8 18:13:03 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by manumuskin43 ]  

I am planning on building an outdoor year round habitat for tigers,marbleds and possibly spotteds and am looking for some helpful info.
I live in the NE USA and my winters average 32 degrees in jan but may occassionally drop into the teens or very occasionally the single digits.winters are wet.summers are dry mostly but humid and july is usually 80"s to 90"s occassionally over 100.tigers and marbleds are in the wild here but spotteds are only found about 100 mi away.Of course my specimens would be captive bred I"m just making the point the salamanders can take this climate.
Here are my plans.Any changes or modifications would be appreciated.I am trying to recreate a local swamp.
Our frost level is 12 to 18 inches in winter.I was going to dig a hole 4 ft deep by 3 ft across(circular or square.I was going to fill about 6 inches with gravel in bottom then about 12 inches with fine sugar sand like we have under our swamps and woods.then about 2 ft of peat moss and on top of that about 6 inches of spagnum moss on top of that.running to bottom would be pvec so i could check the standing water level and adjust it with the seasons.i was going to make this out of red brick and concrete and hopefully waterproof.I imagine this large of an enclosure would"nt need cleaning often.maybe yearly i would have to dig it out and redo it.i have well water and it's good.i could use that or get our equally good though acidic swamp water.i was going to mak a wire mesh lid to keep them from climbing out and the cats and birds from going in.my yard is shaded so sun shouldnt be a problem.
How do you think this setup would work?can i place marbleds and spotteds in with tigers or am I asking to lose them even if their well fed?Is their any posts already on this subject?I haven't found any and wouldnt want you to have to rehash something thats already been beat to death.
Thanks for any help.
Al

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: building mole salamander habitat,nee - anuraanman, Mon Oct 8 20:44:26 2007