return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Looks like she was just impacted.

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Toads ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: JackAsp at Mon Nov 12 23:38:38 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by JackAsp ]  

I've never succeeded in getting her to take nightcrawlers. Crickets she'll eat, but not nearly as quickly as they run around and hide and lay eggs. So besides the fact that I can't keep them in a food dish so there's the danger of substrate ingestion, there's also the problem of winding up with thousands of little pinheads in there that are too small for her to be interested in at all. I've nothing against them as staple, but for this particular toad in this particular setup they don't work. She has a three foot wide pen, with solid sides to obstruct her view of the rest of the room, and still waits until it's dark and she's alone before she eats. So I don't see the seperate feeding tub trick working any time soon.

I don't plan on making mice a staple, nor was I trying to suggest other people do. Most of her diet is large nonclimbing cockroaches, and she gets calcidust at least once a week. Since it seemed that the fuzzy loosened her up, if a similar problem occurs again I will do the same thing, but otherwise I'll stick with insects and supplements. Death heads aren't very hard-shelled; they're more like a larger version of discoids, so the meat to shell ratio is much better than when I was letting her fill up on dusted superworms.

What level of mouse development were you having problems with? Mice that eat solid food don't have the same loosening effect as very young ones. I'm not even sure the trick would have worked with a hopper, which was one of several reasons I didn't opt for one, although she's certainly large enough to gulp one.

Anyway, she's eaten every day since then, although I'm not feeding her as heavily as I was before. And from the looks of her water dish in the morning, all is functional again.
-----
0.1 Coastal Carpet Python (Boots)
0.1 Western Hognose Snake (Bebe)
0.1 Cane Toad (Hengo)
0.1 White-Banded Sheen Skink (Minerva)
1.0 Northern Diamondback Terrapin (Queequeg)

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Looks like she was just impacted. - fortiterinre, Tue Nov 13 22:42:05 2007

<< Previous Message:  RE: Looks like she was just impacted. - fortiterinre, Sat Nov 10 12:55:58 2007