return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Question: Will Hrned Lizs eat to death

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Horned Lizards ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: reptoman at Sun Nov 11 18:36:37 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by reptoman ]  

Hey Ram-please check www.phrynosma.com and get as much information as you can there. Horned lizards that are healthy can eat a 100 or even more at a setting. These lizards for the most part have went down for the winter, if he is healthy he will slow down and go down for the winter. YOu can also feed him some crickets and other small fair, small crickets, wax, worms, small king mealworms. But most of his faire should be ants, we don't know what specie, but even if you get him/her a mate, a 40 gallon breeder cage shuold be totally adequate.
Will you post a picture or two of your lizard, it would be intersting since your new, to just see what kind of meat he has on his bones. Always good to know what your working with. Preferably a close in picture of the vent that is clear, we may be able to tell what sex it is, and a good picture looking down from the top, especially his legs included in the picture so we can see his overall health. I would only keep one water dish in there. Two are unecessary. Also I would recommend a mercury vapor bulb or a 10.0 flourescent. The compact flourescents aren't worth a nickle, the UVB does not go down into the cage to make any significant help. Where as a zoomed 10.0 flourescent will work great, I would use a F20T12 bulb for that cage (made for a 24" fixture)but the Mercury vapor bulb would be your best bet.. Sounds like what you posted your trying to do the right thing. Depending on the type of specie you may want to increase the ambient air temps some and and the cool side. Bringing a HL home at this time of the year is difficult, it suprises me this guy wasn't already hibernating? Let us know by posting a picture and we could probably make some more contrete sugesstions.Cheers!! I am sure others may post as well, but do get us pictures, we don't know what specie, also what state a general vicinity (city) and also what the weather is like about now......
-----
www.phrynosoma.org

______

signature file edited.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Question: Will Hrned Lizs eat to death - ramchip, Sun Nov 11 19:51:22 2007
>> Next Message:  RE: Question: Will Hrned Lizs eat to death - ramchip, Sun Nov 11 19:57:07 2007

<< Previous Message:  Question: Will Hrned Lizs eat to death - ramchip, Sun Nov 11 10:42:43 2007