return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Baby L. z. agalma puking

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Mountain Kingsnakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: rbichler at Thu Nov 22 09:11:05 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by rbichler ]  

>>I have a baby female agalma noneater that I've been FF mouse tail sections every four days. She did fine with the first seven but puked the eighth. So I switched to a fuzzy tail yesterday and she puked that too. I just lost a female baby agalma four days ago. Both this baby and the one I lost had both taken one pinky after their first shed and then refused food. The baby that died was thin and weak when I purchased her but this little female appears to be robust and healthy. I figure I should wait two weeks or more before FF again. I'm wondering if I should switch to a pinkie pump if a liquefied pinkie is easier to digest than a mouse tail. Or pinkie mixed with cat food? Or should I cease FF altogether. I plan on an 8 week brumation for the baby agalmas from early Jan. to March 1. I really DO NOT want to lose this little girl!!! How serious is this puking episode? I would appreciate any advice from those with experience.
>>Thanks, Carl

I agree with J Kruse:
>>Force feeding every four days is wayyyy too soon in my opinion. Force feeding is unnatural, and can be traumatic experience for both the snake and the keeper if the keeper is not experienced with this frustrating and potentially gross process. Also, adult mouse tails contain cartilage that can be too dense for rapid digestion, so I'd recommend the tails of much smaller mice. This also, in my opinion, is not the end-all, be-all remedy to gettin' the lil' buggers to not only begin the feeding process, but also gain weight/nutritional value. So if small mouse tails are the way you're goin', then shoot to brumate for at least a couple of months. The tails should only be a supplement, in my opinion, and not a mainstream food source until voluntary feeding has been established.

I would brumate as soon as possible for about 4-6 weeks then try feeding again. Hide the the pink under a small object close to its hide, or even in its hide, so the snake finds it when foraging. I've found that they will feed on their own, it just takes time. As long as they have good weight, they will be fine.

-----
R.Bichlers Colubrids
http://www.webspawner.com/users/rbichler/index.html

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  Baby L. z. agalma puking - olenoides, Wed Nov 14 15:00:22 2007