return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

Stowaway?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Lizards - What Kind? ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: protodog at Thu Dec 6 10:56:00 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by protodog ]  

Only God knows where this critter came from and how it ended up stuck on a glue trap in my company's lunch room in Michigan. During warm weather when the doors are open, birds sometimes wander in and try to eat the bugs on the traps. The temperatures have drop below freezing for more than a few weeks now, so I don't think it came from outside the plant. The most likely mode of transportation was a test vehicle we received from Japan.

Does anyone recognize what kind of lizard this is? What its origin is? It's age? The guy at PetSmart said it was a Anole. But he also said they don't sell mercury type thermometers because the mercury is "radio active". Uh...yea....ok. I'm not a reptile expert, but from the photos I've seen, it looks something like a China Leopard Gecko.

It took me more than four hours to free him/her (while trying to do my job at the same time). I used dust and dirt on the glue to prevent the critter from re-sticking itself. I read cooking oil works too. Most of the glue is removed, using tooth picks, but the poor thing still has glue covering its right eye and toes. I'm afraid to try to peal it off and possibly damaging its eye. What glue is left, has bedding material stuck to it, which makes the glue easier to see. Hopefully the bedding material will aid in removing the remaining glue.

The main problem now is it will not eat or drink. There is no glue on or in the mouth and it's tongue works.

It's in a ten gallon tank with a heat lamp on one side. Temps reach 90 degrees during the day for twelve hours and drop to 80 degrees at night. Humidly is staying between 60% - 80%.

Although it looks dead, the little bugger can scoot along pretty fast when it wants, but seems content to rest in my hand. From the experiences I have working with homeless dogs and cats, they can get very depressed when they lost their home and owner. But I haven't a clue what a reptile is feeling. The little guy will look up at me with its one eye and I wonder if it realizes I'm trying to help it. Can anyone give a little feed back on what your experience are with reptile emotions?

Thanks!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  Stowaway? 2nd photo - protodog, Thu Dec 6 11:06:59 2007 image in post