return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Best Gecko!

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Gecko Forum ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: sleepygecko at Mon Jan 7 23:00:43 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by sleepygecko ]  

Thanks, that helps a lot. Hope I didn't sound mean, just we get a lot of "throw aways" around here sometimes and it becomes frustrating.

Well, if it is between vipers and gargs, you're going to have to edit that cage for both. Vipers are soooooo small, you might want to block off part of the terrarium even for a bunch of them. I've been looking into vipers myself, they seem very easy to care for and just too cute. Gargs on the other hand are going to want height, but given enough branches and vines you could make the space work well. While you'll have more than enough room for two gargs, they can be very aggressive to each other, even two females. You can get the relationship to work, I'm only saying it isn't as easy as say dropping two leos or two cresteds together. For the gargs you might even want to consider standing the enclosure on end and fill with plants(real or fake), vines, and other climbing stuff (our crested loves a parrot ladder of all things) then it would truly be Rhac heaven.

From my limited experience vipers seem to be a bit more active scampering around whereas gargs are a little more relaxed and content to just sit still. When I wanted a Rhac it was between a crested and a garg, I spent a lot of time with a friend who happened at the time to have both and I chose the crested for the higher activity level. Just my opinion, stop by the "crested" section here for more information on Rhacs, we tend to talk about gargs a lot and any other Rhac that comes up. (Help me, my Boyfriend wants a leachie!)

So now that I've babbled on as per my usual state, I chose against gargs because I like to watch my pets and my crested keeps me entertained rustling her leaves all night. In addition, I have been personally looking into vipers myself, but the independent pet store we drive an hour to (because she's just that good) warned me about loose vipers, she thinks she might have a "wild" colony in her store. Other than that, she loves them. In summary, I'm no help at all. But with a little work, you could do either in that enclosure, maybe then consider things like daily misting vs having to deal with REALLY small crickets?

Good luck, let us know what you choose!
-----
0.1 Albino Leo Gecko
0.1 Crested Gecko
1.0 Dear Boyfriend
Departed: Harvey and Spock

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: Best Gecko! - hpimichael02, Mon Jan 7 10:13:01 2008