return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Need serious frog knowledge person help

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Frogs ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: tegu24 at Sun Jan 20 12:10:24 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by tegu24 ]  

with the temperatures that you posted, the tadpole is most likely trying to hibernate until the temps warm up. he was better off in the old pond with the muck, but since that is gone, try putting some leaves or building a rock hut in the bottom so he can hide. you should also leave him alone until it warms up and you see him swimming around on his own. he also will not eat or eat very little during this time. If you wanted to, you could put him in a 10 gal tank inside with water from the pond and a small filter. you can feed them spincah greens, commerical tadpole food from stores, or live plants from the pond(usually the best option). but once it warms up, put him back outside.

frogs can sense moisture in the air and may be able to feel the vibrations of moving water if they are close enough. i don't believe that they can truely hear water, but i would have to do some research to be sure.

i have a outside frog pond up here in western NY and the frogs i have leave every fall to hibernat in a near by creek, but return almost every spring to my pond. i have one bullfrog with odd markings that has returned every year for the last 6 yrs. if you create a good enviroment for them, they usually will return as long as they don't find some place better or get eaten in the mean time.

most products, including snakeaway, have very little effectiveness. they use synthesized pheromone's in an attempt to drive snakes away, but most are only a mild deterrents and lose their effect after a week or two. snakes are a natural part of a frogs life and they help keep populations in check. it is best if you just let them be and let nature take its course. just be careful of the many venomous species you have that may enjoy your pond as much as the frogs. the less piled rocks and high, thich plants you have, the less likely snakes will be to stay, but that also goes for frogs, too.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Need serious frog knowledge person help - JennaW, Sun Jan 20 12:34:44 2008

<< Previous Message:  Need serious frog knowledge person help - JennaW, Thu Jan 17 08:28:33 2008