return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Water Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

RE: wood turtles

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Spotted, Bog & Wood Turtles ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: kensopher at Fri Feb 1 06:54:39 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by kensopher ]  

"do wood turtles hibernate on land or in water? how much water do they need to be comfertable? what do they eat? what are their personalities like or do they have them? could they be hibernated outdoors? could they stay outside all year, including hibernation?"

Whoa! You got just about everything in there.

They can brumate on either land or water. Each turtle seems to make their own decision regarding that. They will often become active on warm winter days(even in snow) and move between land and water. They can be kept and brumated outdoors year round, and it is actually much more beneficial for them to do so. It all depends on where you live. Special preparations may need to be made. Where do you live, in general?

Personally, I think that they need a larger water feature to be comfortable. I provide at least a 35 gallon pond for a group of juveniles, and my adults live around a large pond. The water should be shallow around the edges, or they may drown. They like cool and VERY clean water. I have seen people keep them like box turtles, with just a small water dish for soaking. I think this does them a great disservice, though they will probably live and breed just fine.

They have amazing, outgoing, and intelligent personalities. They are one of the very best! Adult and even younger males will constantly bite at and attempt to mate with females and will also fight with other males.

They are very agile for a turtle, and need a very secure cage or pen.

They eat insects, meats, vegetables, and fruit. They will eat just about anything edible. Insects and veggies should make up the bulk of their diet. Nightcrawlers, cucumber, different types of squash, and strawberries are the favorites of mine.

If you do a google search of Wood turtles, you will get tons of care sheets for them. Some are better than others. Look for the common themes.

Hope this helps.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  wood turtles - banjobert, Wed Jan 30 19:51:03 2008