return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

nocturnal cherries?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Red & Yellow Foot Tortoises ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: JimHouse at Sat Feb 23 15:17:39 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by JimHouse ]  

last night, the book I was reading made me lose track of the time. not a new thng, I'm afraid, happens a lot. so I realized it was 3 in the morning, and after the initial "yikes!" I was frantically prepairing to go to bed.

before bed every night, I check on the torts/snakes/and feed my fish. so, after feeding my fish, looking in on the snakes, I look at the cherry heads. mind you it's after three...

and one of them is awake! not only is it awake, but it's walking around and basking in the red 'night heat' lamp.

now, I should have mentioned that these guys are hatchlings. appart from their daily soak, and when I feed them, they are typically sleeping. that's fine for me, they're babies, babies sleep alot. I have there temps and humididty monitored and graphed and everything's just right, so I'm not worried.

anyways, this behaviour is kind of new to me. I was thinking that these little guys sleep all day, just about, and it was just my assumption that they sleep all night as well.

this little (guy/gal) was walking around the enclosure, and climbing up on the flat piece of grapevine I've got under the lamps(I put it in there for asthetics, but they have no problem with climbing all over it!) and just doing circles. and it lasted for a couple hours! I have a footprint of the enclosure of 6' by 2.5', and the tort was using every bit of it.

now for my questions. has anybody else noticed similar events with their torts? does anybody else use the red light for night heat? I've been considering getting a ceramic heat emitter so there is no light at night, only because I know red is one of their favorite colors.

this little guy's carpace temp(I gotta rayteck temp gun, best herping accesory known to man) was 80 degrees, at least five degrees more than thier 'snoozing temp'.

trying to think of what else I cantell you... my humidity in the warm side at night peaks to about 95%, during the day in the warm side it runs closer to 85-87%. the other half of the enclosure is always 95% or higher, regardless of time of day/night.

it's not my assumption that there is anything wrong with my little guy, just curious what you other keppers had to say. thanks for your time.
Jim

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: nocturnal cherries? - Terryo, Sat Feb 23 18:54:30 2008
>> Next Message:  RE: nocturnal cherries? - oid, Sat Feb 23 20:09:20 2008
>> Next Message:  RE: nocturnal cherries? - renardv74, Sun Feb 24 18:10:35 2008