return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Help with outdoor tortoise enclosure.

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Russian & Greek Tortoises ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: VICtort at Wed Mar 5 13:08:39 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by VICtort ]  

I would make a removable,light wood frame and staple the wire to that, you want easy access to the pen. I like the white plasic lath material available at garden stores, it offers partial shade in additon to just wire which is full Sun. Hay for substrate is OK, but I like to have some live plants (protected in pots) and some bare areas for absorbing solar energy and basking, using coarse sand and rock slabs. Give them choices, i.e. sun vs. shade, humid vs. dry, soft vs hard, smooth vs. rougher, vary the topography,I build terraces. Also artificial burrows using plactic drain pipe etc. Be wary of too much hay and not many other features, because if/when they flip over, they must be able to find some irregularity in the substrate to hook a toe nail and flip over. This is really important here in the desert where the Sun could quickly kill them if they can't right themselves. For that reason, I provide quite a few stable rocks and logs to climb on and offer challenges and toe holds. Good luck, I am a big advocate of Outdoor keeping if the climate allows. vic

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  Help with outdoor tortoise enclosure. - atomicjade, Mon Mar 3 16:24:56 2008