return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

Feeding a greater siren?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Salamanders & Newts ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Heket at Fri Mar 14 18:05:15 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Heket ]  

As part of a population study, I'm keeping a wild-caught greater siren in the lab to test a marking technique (fluorescent elastomer) and make sure the marks stay visible. However, I'm having some trouble getting it to eat and wanted to see if anyone has any suggestions.

The siren is about 12" long, in a 65 gal. tub with ~55 gallons of water in it. There are plenty of terra cotta and slate cover objects, plus masses of aquatic plants like southern naiad and duckweed. The substrate is small gravel; would sand be better? How difficult is it to clean a tank with a sand base?

Also in the tank: a small group of mosquitofish, many freshwater shrimp, 3 small crayfish, snails, small diving beetles and mayfly larvae, and 2 brown hoplos that are 4-5" long (Hoplosternum littorale, an exotic armored catfish). I'm trying to give the hoplos away because I think they might be competing with the siren for pieces of worms, but nothing in the tank seems to be bothering the siren too much or picking at its gills. The siren was collected from a roadside ditch in Myakka River State Park here in Florida (with research permits) and the fish, inverts and plants were also collected from nearby habitats.

I had hoped the siren would eat the fish, shrimp, crayfish or snails, but from reading posts on Caudata.org, I guess that's not very likely. I've tried feeding it freshly killed freshwater shrimp, earthworms (both whole and pieces), and some shrimp paste that other people were feeding to freshwater fish in the lab, but I haven't observed it eating yet. In fact, the siren actively flees when it bumps into a moving piece of an earthworm. Should I try trout chow or bloodworms next, or maybe feeding it in a smaller, separate tank?

Thanks for any suggestions on changing the enclosure or the food!
-Sarah

(The pictures below should show the siren under some terra cotta pieces, then the ditch I collected it from, and then pictures of the tank setup.)

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  72 degrees to warm yr round for spotted - Bianca, Sun Mar 23 02:20:25 2008
<< Previous topic:  buying a newt - saromalus, Fri Mar 14 17:11:29 2008