return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Trying to help with tegu feeding pro

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Tegus ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: laurarfl at Tue Mar 25 12:31:38 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by laurarfl ]  

Golden tegus (Colombians) don't hibernate like the Argentine B/W, plus this would be the season to emerge. Since it's 18 months old, it should be acclimated to the N Hemisphere (if you're not sure of its origins).

Without any background info...here's what I would say to begin with...

Husbandry is everything in herpetoculture. If a lizard isn't happy with its habitat, then it's going to show it somehow. I keep my Colombian in a suitably sized enclosure with plenty of Cypress mulch for it bury under. I moisten the mulch once a week to keep it humid, but not wet. The basking site is kept at 90-95 degrees with a cooler end of 75-80 degrees. She stays buried a lot, but comes out to bask. Proper UV is a must, and the bulb should be changed every 6 months unless it is a Mercury Vapor in which case it can be changed every year (or longer if you have a UV meter).

I offer my Colombian fruit, but she rarely eats it, she much prefers whole rodents, fish, eggs and 'parts'. She eats 3 times a week until she's full. One time she eats a whole appropriately size rodent. Another time she eats egg or fish. The third time she eats chicken gizzards/livers or ground turkey sprinkled with her vitamins/minerals. I don't feed my tegus in their enclosure. This one eats on paper on the kitchen floor, then poops on it. She has a large water bowl that can drink from and bathe in if she chooses.

Another thing to try for digestive health is deworming and probiotics. Deworming usually requires veterinary assistance for the proper meds, but probiotics such as Benebac or Nutribac can be bought from pet stores. It just takes a sprinkle on the food.

I don't know how long a Colombian can go without food. My Argentines are waking up and look great (fat tails) without having eaten for 4-6 months. It depends on the metabolism of the reptile. Large gators can go for a year, likewise for snakes. I wouldn't recommend it, however. With such limited info, I wonder if the temps are too low for the little guy? It seems that lethargy and small size would initially point to low temps, insufficient UV or calcium, or parasites. Like I said, I would correct the husbandry issues first and then get a fecal check. Giving an animal any meds when they don't have the proper temps to metabolize the chemicals can be harsh on the kidneys.

Just my $.02

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  Trying to help with tegu feeding problem - mfoux, Tue Mar 25 10:40:14 2008