return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Alligator Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - June 22, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - June 22, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - June 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - July 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - July 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - July 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - July 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - July 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - July 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

How credible is the EXIF data?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Photography Forum ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: colchicine at Thu Mar 27 15:55:19 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by colchicine ]  

For for my job doing environmental consulting, legal liability is a forethought with every product we put out. I have a project right now that requires photo documentation of a construction site. Our new Canon point-and-shoot cameras apparently do not allow you to put a date stamp on the photo, which is how we have typically done things in order to "prove" when a photo was taken.

However, my boss, a self-admitted technophobe, does not understand the benefits of the EXIF data nor the lack of credibility of date stamps. I have on rare occasions had to Photoshop out the date stamp and replace it with a different date because the camera's time was set on the wrong 12 hour time. So I have tried to explain how easy it is to change the date on the photo, but that the EXIF data stays with the photo even if it is manipulated. If a regulatory agency doubted the authenticity of our photos, I figured that we could just send them the original photo and they can look at the EXIF data.

So my question to you is, how easy is it to change the EXIF data? I personally have no idea how to do that, and I suspect that many other people who know less about photo editing would be as equally clueless. I am going to assume that the EXIF info is not as credible as I think it is, but would you agree that it is more credible than a date stamp?
-----
Virginia Herping
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/VaHS
Virginia Herpetological Society online store
http://www.cafepress.com/vaherpsociety

"The irrational fear of snakes is the only excuse a grown man has... to act like a complete sissy" - Colchicine

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: How credible is the EXIF data? - chrish, Thu Mar 27 20:06:38 2008
>> Next Message:  RE: How credible is the EXIF data? - Joe Forks, Sun May 25 09:43:36 2008