return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

RE: C. bottae taxonomy - A new wrinkle

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Taxonomy Discussion ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: RichardFHoyer at Fri May 23 09:08:11 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by RichardFHoyer ]  

CK,
Don't know what happened to my prior post.

The reason that Javier's data shows the majority of the Sierra Nevada subclade specimens occurring on the western slopes of the Sierra Nevada Mts. is more likely due to the nature of how specimens are collected than being representative of the true distribution of that subclade. A number of variables are involved with how specimens end up as vouchers and invariably such collecting does not represent an accurate picture either of relative abundance or geographical representation. Thus, there is considerable risk at trying to arrive at meaningful conclusions simply based on the origin of vouchers.

As for both subclades not occurring in each other's region, I suspect that this situation is similar to what occurs with many recognized subspecies where they retain their individual identities beyond where intergradation occurs, sometimes in very narrow zones.

I am not familiar with Robert Inger. Long ago I recognized the exact same thing not only for the boa but for other secretive species. That is why I cited the paper by W. Gibbons in that his results match my own experience and my analysis vouchers in institutional collections, that is, the history of specimens being vouchered over time. As you may have noted in many publications, they will mention this or than species has a spotty distribution. Well, where suitable habitat is spotty, such characterization are probably correct. But in some instances, the spotty distribution is really a reflection of the spotty nature of finding and vouchering specimens.

If you review the older field guides by Stebbins, you will note he refers to the boa as having a spotty distribution. Before his latest revision of 2003, he contacted me asking me to comment on his treatment of the Rubber Boa and Sharp-tailed Snake. I mentioned the same thing about spotty collecting giving an erroneous perception and mentioned that suitable boa habitat is continuous from northern Kern County all the way to B. C. sop how could the species have a spotty distribution? Since he too understands and accepts habitat association as valid, you will note in the latest edition he dropped the 'spotty distribution' for he species as a whole but retained it for the southern part of the species range where it is indeed spotty.

Richard F. Hoyer

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: C. bottae taxonomy - A new wrinkle - CKing, Fri May 23 13:07:46 2008

<< Previous Message:  RE: C. bottae taxonomy - A new wrinkle - CKing, Tue May 20 20:44:15 2008