return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

Golden Gecko concerns

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Gecko Forum ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: jjenkins at Sun Mar 30 10:39:03 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by jjenkins ]  

Hi,

I've had a pair of golden geckos for a couple months and I have some questions about them.
First, the male gecko concerns me sometimes. He occassionally retreats to the bottom of the enclosure and just lays there. His coloration darkens dramatically during this period also. Then he'll go back to normal for a few weeks, with normal coloration, climbing around, etc. But eventually he'll again do the bottom of the tank thing for a day or so. What is the deal here?
Second, I have never seen either gecko eat. I know they must be eating because they are both still alive, but I don't feel like they are thriving. I offer them plenty of crickets and baby food, but I never see them eat it. The baby food I'm not so worried about because I see big chunks of it missing, but I feel like there are always crickets in the cage. I am not sure if they are eating crickets at all, cause a lot of times the crickets will hide in the plants and die, so it looks like they've been eaten but when I clean the cage I find out they haven't been. It is also nearly impossible for me to dust the crickets with vitamins/calcium, since they geckos don't eat them quick enough and the powder wipes off. I have been gutloading the crickets with special cricket food to help with this however. It is weird I don't see them eat, because I had goldens before I went to college and they ate voraciously right in front of me. Any ideas/suggestions?
I mist the geckos 2-3 times a day, keeping the humidity at about 60% average. The tank is 18" W by 18" W by 24" H, and it has two snake plants in it. I have a vita light for the plants and a 40 watt red bulb for the geckos. I heard that covering the cage on three sides with paper will make the geckos feel more secure, and I am thinking of trying this. Also, I have recently ordered a 2' by 2' by 4' aluminum screen cage from LLLreptile, so hopefully this will help them.

Please help me make my lizards thrive!

Thanks,

Jeff

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Golden Gecko concerns - sleepygecko, Sun Mar 30 12:24:28 2008
>> Next Message:  RE: Golden Gecko concerns - althea, Mon Mar 31 00:28:41 2008 image in post
>> Next Message:  Anyone know any golden gecko breeders? - jjenkins, Mon Mar 31 17:40:02 2008
>> Next Message:  New Developments! - jjenkins, Mon Apr 7 15:01:08 2008