return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Is digging a real problem?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Sulcata & Spurred Tortoises ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: tripletoes at Fri Apr 11 13:19:01 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by tripletoes ]  

is digging a problem? i have 8 spurred torts in the back yard and i have diffrent behaivure from all of them. i have two that burrow. now they are not trying to dig out of their enclosure but rather making kind of a house. the two that do it are smaller torts, none of my larger ones have ever done it but they have gone into a corner and thrown dirt in the air and on their backs. the larger ones (30 to 100lbs) have a heated thermostatic shed in which they go into. i think this is why they donot burrow. because they feel comfortable being enclosed in there and therefore have no reason to dig. now the two that do are an unrelated ivory strand i donot think at all that albino has anything to do with it. their enclocure has a larger number of torts in it (burms rfoots boxies) and less hideing spots. i have hibusces bushes and wood crates with holes in them in which they retire into at night. it isnt like they are just digging random holes like a dog or anything they use them all the time, everybody does. the only thing i can see as problematic with it is if a 50lb plus dug one and for some reason you had to pull him out in a hurry like a freeze was coming unexpectidly. they might stay in the burrow as they would in the wild in cold weather. you might be thinking i can lift 50 or 100lbs but thats not the real issue. the thing is they dig the burrow custome to their shells and when you pull them out depending on which way they are faceing they will spread their legs out and grab the sides of the burrow and anybody who has been around large sulcs will attest to their streingth, so a shovel could be in order in this case. but if a big freeze is comeing you can lay some plywood over the hole and block the entrance. filling it isnt usually a good to do unless it is in a low area that collects water runoff. i kind of like the burrows it is fun to watch the digging activity. now if i could just figure out why my male emys emys spends his day rakeing the yard with his front legs!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Is digging a real problem? - bonomoc08, Fri Apr 11 16:32:35 2008

<< Previous Message:  Is digging a real problem? - meme_cantu, Wed Apr 9 16:54:39 2008