return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Ant vacuum info

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Horned Lizards ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: outdoorsman at Fri Apr 25 02:34:53 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by outdoorsman ]  

I have two separate areas I collect from.One has about thirty ant hills, and a lot of underground tunnels 6 or 7 feet from the mound.We don't have to deal with the stinging ants most of you guys do.When I add ants to the HL's enclosure, i actually put my hand in the container, and they attack and bite some, and I brush them off my hand in with the HL's.There smaller and the Hl's don't consider them as much of a threat.I usually add them to an area where there away from so as the ants move throughout the enclosure, they get picted off.I usually leave dirt in with ants, as they make there own ant hill in the container.I add pieces of apples,maybe some orange or a few roaches to the ants for food, and I wet down the container immediately when I get them home.Seems moisture is the number one thing that keeps them going.I can go through several thousand in a week, with only 6 or 8 dead ones in the containers.I really need to try the new canister vac, but the old one just keeps going and going.Must be that orecks vacuums just keep going and going.It does squeal some.The only problem I have with the pitfall method is that sometimes when I start to vacuum, they will rush underground.So it's easier to ambush them, tap on the mound some in different areas, and every now and then, you hit a spot and they swarm from it and bam , there in the vac and in my container.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: Ant vacuum info - Cable_Hogue, Thu Apr 24 21:17:37 2008