return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: The big plunge

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Photography Forum ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: chrish at Wed Apr 30 13:08:51 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by chrish ]  

Dan,

I would certainly look at more than just the Nikon D40x and Canon's equivalent. There are plenty of good DSLR options out there from other companies like Pentax, Sony, Olympus, etc.

I guess the current entry level Canon is the 450D (digital Rebel Xsi). It has some advantages over the Nikon (its CMOS gives better high ISO images), but the Nikon has a better flash system.

Here's a biased view some of the offerings...

Nikon D40x - cheap, dependable, AF lens issue mentioned before, LCD too small
Canon 450Xsi - a little pricier, better sensor than the Sony CCD (used by Sony and Nikon), biggest LCD of this group, lenses a little cheaper than rest of group, flash system not as good as Nikon/Sony/Pentax (I don't know about olympus flash system)
Pentax K200D - lots of features for your money, image stabilization in body, older (cheap) manual focus Pentax lenses fit this body,
Olympus E420 - live-view LCD, 4/3 system (maybe an advantage or not?), I don't know about this sensor - do some research - it could be great or not?
Sony Alpha 200 - image stabilization in body, excellent flash system

An important test is how the camera feels in your hands and where the features you want are placed. It doesn't help if your camera has a really neat feature you want, but it is buried 10 menus deep and you have to push 3 buttons 5 times to find it! So make sure you handle each of them. Check how fast they autofocus, etc.

I have put a link at the bottom to dpreview.com's comparison table of these cameras. They also compare their output in each camera's review pages, so do some homework.

Of course, you are buying more than just a camera, you are buying a camera system. Hopefully, you will buy this body and later be able to move up to a newer/more advanced body within that same system. Of course, all of these I've mentioned are good systems and offer the sorts of accessories you will want. Some systems' accessories are a little cheaper than others, but you can generally buy third party lenses, etc., for any of these systems. Don't be fooled by/worried about brand name - all of these are competent cameras made by good manufacturers.

In regard to what accessories you will want, I would want a minimum of these things for a "complete" herp photographing kit -
- body
- 90mm, 100mm, or 105mm macro lens
- external flash with diffuser and the ability to shoot with the flash off camera (wirelessly or with an off-camera cord)

secondary things to pick up....
- wide angle lens for habitat shots
- longer lens for lizards/turtles in the wild (~300mm)
- a good, heavy tripod

Do some homework (dpreview is a great place to start) and be wary of people who only use one brand telling you that theirs is superior. Most Nikon people have never used a Canon, Sony, Olympus or Pentax camera and vice versa. It's like someone who has owned nothing but Ford trucks telling you not to buy Chevrolet, Toyota, or Dodge.

Chris
Table comparing Nikon, Canon, Olympus, Pentax, Sony entry level DSLRs

-----
Chris Harrison
San Antonio, Texas

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  The big plunge - DanW, Fri Apr 25 15:03:38 2008