return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Pine Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - May 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - June 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - June 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - June 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - June 08, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: ID this waterdog?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Salamanders & Newts ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: CKing at Sun May 4 09:57:27 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by CKing ]  

>>Awesome. I think I might pick up a second to go in with "her", if there's a chance they're truly neotenic! Her gills were smaller when I got her, but they are far fuller now than they were a week ago. One of the brances on the left side is still only a stub, but the rest of them have grown those little "fingers" at the end, rather than simply being stubs like they were. Maybe "she" had them nibbled on in a stock tank, or something. Or maybe aquatic conditions are just better now, and she's changed her mind. I can't be sure, but I'm thinking her tail looks more fin-like than it did when I brought her home, too. Is this common, or even possible?>>

It is possible that the gills are regenerating after being bitten off. Also, it may be a response to less oxygen in the water. Larvae that live in oxygen rich streams have less well developed gills than those that live in oxygen poor stagnant waters like ponds.

>>
>>thanks again for the help! I really can't find much information about these guys at the larval stage.
>>
>>Also- could these be housed with axolotls? Or would I have to worry about one eating the other>>

If they are similar in size than there is no worry they will eat each other. Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) and tiger salamanders (Ambystoma tigrinum) are close relatives. They are both members of the tigrinum species group. They can in fact produce viable hybrids. Not sure if they will mate though.

>>Do you have any recommended reads about these guys? I'd like to find something a little deeper than the standard page that's coming up on Google. . .
>>
>>thanks,
>>Ronnie

You may want to got to a University library and browse through the section on reptiles and amphibians or go to a pet store and look through those books written about newts and salamanders.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: ID this waterdog? - Redmoon, Sat May 3 22:09:16 2008