return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Are they really that easy?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Dart & Mantella Frogs ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Slaytonp at Wed Apr 30 10:01:45 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Slaytonp ]  

I think Skronkykong answered most of your questions, but I'll add my two bits, now worth about a penny. he darts you mentioned will do well alone in a 10 gallon. Just have a drainage layer of gravel in it, the coco-fiber/sphagnum or organic compost over this, separated by a layer of weed cloth. Excess water can be drained from the gravel layer by merely inserting an airline tube in one corner to the bottom and siphoning it off whenever it accumulates. Plant some small, live tropical plants and add some leaf litter such as oak or magnolia leaves. I use a hinged glass top to hold the humidity, but you can also put Saran Wrap over a screen if you prefer. You could keep two (unsexed) auratus in a 10 gallon, or a single tinctorius. The auratus get along well together regardless of sex, but the tinctorius, especially the females will fight unless kept in mated pairs, and you would need a larger tank, such as a 20 gallon to keep them happy, as these like more ground space. You could also consider leucomelas, one or two, which also get along regardless of sex. Another nice group friendly dart frog is Phyllobates terribilis, although a 10 gallon seems a bit small for them. Live plants will recycle the wastes adequately. I particularly like to add Ficus pumila "quercifolia" as it forms a very nice, low, tight groundcover, will climb backgrounds, branches and other wood features, as well. Most pillow and sheets mosses have never thrived for me, but Java moss, although longer, does. All darts appreciate a cave or hut of some sort, such as a coco-hut.

As far as fruit fly media, although I usually get mine commercially, in a pinch I've used dried potato flakes with a bit of corn meal, topped off with about 1/4 tsp. of Baker's yeast after adding the water, and this seems to work just fine. You can also add a teaspoon of vinegar to the water when diluting the media to inhibit unwanted molds, if these are a problem. Adding some excelsior to the deli-cup increases the space for the flies and seems to increase production. Excelsior is simply the shredded aspen bark you can find in crafts stores.

Of course, you need to dust the fruit flies with a combination of something like Rep-Cal with D3 and Herptivite, or use Dendrocare. The D3 is important, since in a small tank especially, there is no convenient way to provide UV light, and D3 is needed for the frogs to utilize the calcium.

Most reliable breeders ship their frogs as juveniles rather than as young froglets, and these do as well as adults in my experience. Sexed adults will be more expensive.

I think dart frog breeders are a different "breed" themselves, as I've found those I've dealt with to be strictly honest, and won't tell you a particular species is "easy" if it's not. They also provide personal advice, care-sheets and healthy live delivery guarantees. After that, since they have no control over your conditions, you are on your own.

Here is a 10 gallon I set up three years ago for two Phyllobates lugubris with a small circulating water way. It is currently still running without ever having been taken down and "cleaned" except for cleaning off glass and trimming back plants.

-----
Patty
Pahsimeroi, Idaho

Dendrobates: auratus blue, auratus Ancon Hill, tinctorius azureus, leucomelas. Phyllobates: vittatus, terribilis, lugubris. Epipedobates: anthonyi tricolor pasaje. Ranitomeya fantastica, imitator, reticulata. Adelphobates castaneoticus, galactonotus. Oophagia pumilio Bastimentos. (updated systematic nomenclature)

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  Are they really that easy? - Danne, Sun Apr 27 17:26:14 2008