return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Living Terrariums for Frogs

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Dart & Mantella Frogs ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Slaytonp at Sun May 4 09:53:11 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Slaytonp ]  

You can use either washed gravel or the clay balls. I prefer the looks of gravel, but many people seem to like the clay balls. A layer of weed cloth or polyester batting, either one, will do the job of keeping dirt particles from clogging the drainage area. The batting can be found at any crafts store in the quilting supplies section. About 3 inches of drainage works well, but you can get by with less. If and when water accumulates, you can just stick a piece of aquarium airline tubing to the bottom from one corner and siphon off the excess. I have also used rock wool slabs, such as they use in hydroponics as an easy "false bottom," then cut out pools and waterways from this, circulated water over falls or drip walls with a small submersible water pump (Eheim compact 600, Maxi-jet 600 or Rio 600). When using rock wool, you do have to be very careful to cover it well with the cloth or batting, as it is very irritating to the skin and shouldn't ever contact your frogs. You can get this from a hydroponics outlet. They come in 3X6X24" blocks. This is just a lot easier than building a hollow false bottom with egg crate for holding circulating water for water features. Whether or not you have a water feature however, is up to you. In my experience, most of the dart frogs seem to like them. I have never raised mantellas, but imagine it would work with them, as well.

Here's a 55 gallon fish tank set up for some Epipedobates using rock wool. The pool also has an aquarium bubbler under the gravel--not essential, but I sort of like the bubbling effect. It also enhances the humidity and creates a little bit of air circulation. In this photo, the planting isn't complete and stuff hasn't grown yet. The falls are now covered with Ricca moss and there is a lot more foliage. I need to update photos of this tank. (This one has a poster type background sitting behind it to hide the cords that dropped behind the tank, but I've relocated these and removed it since then.

You can also use something like cork bark to create a background, or even drip water over it back to a false bottom. The second photo shows some "spontaneous" plant growth on wet cork bark. It will often sprout ferns and mosses, as well as supporting epiphytic bromeliads. (I don't sterilize it before use.) The corner bow tank has a tree fern slab drip wall on the left and drier cork bark on the right. The tree fern slabs will very often grow ferns from spores lodged in the fiber, and will support Ricca and Java mosses.

-----
Patty
Pahsimeroi, Idaho

Dendrobates: auratus blue, auratus Ancon Hill, tinctorius azureus, leucomelas. Phyllobates: vittatus, terribilis, lugubris. Epipedobates: anthonyi tricolor pasaje. Ranitomeya fantastica, imitator, reticulata. Adelphobates castaneoticus, galactonotus. Oophagia pumilio Bastimentos. (updated systematic nomenclature)

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: Living Terrariums for Frogs - BeardedHuman, Sat May 3 23:52:09 2008