return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Father's Day! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - June 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - June 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - July 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - June 22, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - June 22, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - June 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - July 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - July 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - July 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - July 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: New Dum; Won't Eat

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Dumerils Boas ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: amarilrose at Thu May 8 01:59:35 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by amarilrose ]  

I only have one Dum, but I have probably more general snake-keeping experience than most. There are, as you pointed out, TONS of posts about young Dums being difficult feeders. Read as many as you can find; there have been a lot of solutions tossed around! (for better or worse)

I bought my Dum when he was about one year old. I think part of why the snake was up for sale was because he was a difficult feeder and the guy selling him didn't want the headache. When I bought him, the snake was taking live mice, which I gave him for the first two feedings, then tried f/t rats (fuzzies or hoppers, don't remember), which he took readily. Pretty much from the moment I bought my Dum, he has eaten almost every prey item I have put in front of him - he is my "clean up" feeder! I'm sure this is part dumb luck, and I can appreciate that it just figures that when the previous owner (who I am still in touch with) decided he had had enough, the snake turned around completely! The reason I bring this up is that this seems to be a trend for a lot of Dum keepers on this forum; babies seem to be hard to get started, but really good, reliable feeders once they get established.

I think it was about 3.5 years ago now that I first saw my Dum and decided to try to find out more about this species. One of my first Google hits was a thread in this forum where somebody was claiming that baby Dums like lizards. The theory at least makes a little sense to me; Madagascar is home to a huge diversity of small lizard species. If you have access to a lizard, maybe try scenting the rodent prey on the lizard before you offer the rodent to your boa.

Otherwise, I pretty much agree with the other responses you have; try live fuzzies or hoppers until he starts feeding well.

Another useful trick: I like to feed in separate containers. There is a ton of debate about this, but it works GREAT for me. I use deep-proportioned rubbermaid tubs with locking lids. Something I have always noticed with my Dum is that he will eat anything as long as he is in his feeding bin & that bin is covered with a blanket or a towel. The larger the prey, the longer it seems to take him, but he is very reliable!

I hope this helps you. Good luck!
~Rebecca
-----
1.0.0 Dumeril's Boa '04
1.1.1 Ball Pythons

0.2 American Pit Bull Terriers (40lb darling lap dogs:Brandy&Mara)

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  New Dum; Won't Eat - zappaphile, Tue May 6 13:36:58 2008 image in post