return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Tropical Pitcher

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Dart & Mantella Frogs ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Slaytonp at Wed May 21 22:14:03 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Slaytonp ]  

This would depend upon the conditions in the dart frog tank that would sustain a particular pitcher plant. The pitcher plants vary in requirements, as well as size, some of which would be way too huge for a dart tank. There are a few genera and many species of them, all somewhat different. I've never been able to sustain those I've tried in my own dart habitats for very long, but perhaps I've never tried the right ones for the environment. I've seen many posts and tales about them over time--whether or not they will or will not be a danger to dart frogs. I've even read and seen some photos of thumbnails using the funnels as breeding chambers without harm to the tadpoles or frogs, but can't recall, or the information was never given as to just which species of pitcher plants these were. If you want to consider this, I would recommend a thorough search of the Nepenthes, in particular, and really get into the various problems of growing them first. I rarely tell people to simply do a search, but I do think that before growing pitcher plants of any sort in a tropical dart frog vivarium, you first have to be a "pitcher plant" expert in order to choose the ones that will thrive while getting along with your frogs. I've never delved into it other than a few failures to thrive of a couple of pitcher plants (Nepenthes) that were all too short lived in my dart frog environment. A good source is the Dendroboard posts in the plant section.
-----
Patty
Pahsimeroi, Idaho

Dendrobates: auratus blue, auratus Ancon Hill, tinctorius azureus, leucomelas. Phyllobates: vittatus, terribilis, lugubris. Epipedobates: anthonyi tricolor pasaje. Ranitomeya fantastica, imitator, reticulata. Adelphobates castaneoticus, galactonotus. Oophagia pumilio Bastimentos. (updated systematic nomenclature)

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  Tropical Pitcher - dartman, Sun May 18 09:26:10 2008