return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Rubber Boa and Rosy Boa

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Taxonomy Discussion ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: RichardFHoyer at Mon Jun 23 00:54:56 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by RichardFHoyer ]  

CK,
Need to be educated. What precisely in the definition of 'paraphyletic taxa' and what is or are the alternatives that the cladists embrace?

Secondly, you sort of lost me when you begin my mentioning that the southern and northern subclades are the same age. But then later indicate that the northern subclade likely budded off of the southern subclade which in turn would indicate that the northern subclade is younger than the parent southern subclade.

I thought I mentioned the following once before. I took a couple of side trips to view the habitat in all directions of Mt. Lassen and to make some searches. I confirmed that there is no break in suitable boa habitat anywhere in that region. Secondly, I collected two specimens northwest of Mt. Lassen in Shasta county near the junction of highways 89 and 299 near Burney, one specimen northeast of Mt. Lassen in western Lassen county along hwy 44, and two specimens southeast of Mt. Lassen near Deer Creek along hwy 36 in extreme northeastern Tehama county. Shortly thereafter, in my communication with Chris Feldman, I learned that he and another grad student at Utah St. U. had collected a number of other boas in the vicinity of Mt. Lassen in Plumas and Lassen counties and perhaps also in Shasta Co. that were for the CAS collection.

Thus about 2 years ago, I urged the current researcher to have all of those samples tested which he has done. It is from those specimens plus some others that were deposited at CAS from yet a forth county that have produced results that conflict with Javier's hypothesis that a break occurs in the distribution of the species and that the Northwestern and Sierra Nevada subclades are thus allopatric in distribution. As I have mentioned some time ago, biologically such a scenario makes no sense given the fact that suitable boa habitat occurs throughout that region.

Richard F. Hoyer

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Rubber Boa and Rosy Boa - CKing, Mon Jun 23 12:48:04 2008

<< Previous Message:  RE: Rubber Boa and Rosy Boa - CKing, Wed Jun 18 00:22:01 2008