return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: frilled behavior

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Frilled Dragons ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: ckingii at Fri Jun 6 13:31:36 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by ckingii ]  

One thing you need to check is temperature. Frillies like it hot and humid. Large cages are often a problem in both regards. I try to offer a hot spot of 100-105'F abd a cool spot in the 80-90 range. Frillies also like a gage that is vertically oriented.

For reference, my cages are 48H x 38W x 19D. Walls and back are 1/4" lexan covered with 1/4" cork tiles. The front is 1/4" lexan. The top is a screen that is pretty much seated up except for lights. I have a 100W SB UV lamp, 3, 26W 10.0 UVB lamps, a 60W heat emitter (night only) and 50W undertank heaters. That's 228W daytime and 110W night, and they hold heat in far better than a glass or screen cage. The hot spot is toward the top and they'll climb up and down to find the temp they want.

If frillies get too cold, they won't eat. They don't want a belly full of food during a cold night. It needs to be hot in the day and warm at hight, and then they will eat like pigs. When in doubt, throw heat at them.

Frillies will sometimes just not eat. Stress, handling or simply getting tired of the same old food will get to them. I offer mine crickets, silkworms, hornworms and king worms. Each one will have a favorite for a few weeks, and then suddenly loose interest. It's always a challenge to figure out who wants what at any point in time. Somewhere between 6 and 18 months, most of mine seem to loose all interest in crickets. Right now, my males like silkworms and the females like hornworms and nobody will touch king worms. It'll change.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: frilled behavior - breaker, Fri Jun 6 15:17:23 2008

<< Previous Message:  RE: frilled behavior - redtyger999, Fri Jun 6 12:09:43 2008