return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Could she be gravid??????

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Spiny/Fence Lizards ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Rosebuds at Thu Jun 26 07:38:56 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Rosebuds ]  

No, they aren't here in my area. I'm in Houston. We have anoles, geckos, salamanders, and snakes, but not any type of fence lizard or spiny that I know of, and I am kinda stuck at the moment as far as taking a trip to catch wild lizards!

I thought that I might want to breed them with the idea of conservation in mind. I see so many wc reptiles for sale, and thought that breeding some might lessen the need for collecting from the wild. I am building an education program and have friends who are in education, and planned on holding back either two females or a nice male and buying a non related mate or two, and passing the rest on to education programs. I belive in captive breeding programs if we are going to keep animlas as pets. I think they just do better in captive settings if they are born into them, and I would hate to see animals become threatened or endangered in the wild because of the pet trade.

I am now rethinking this idea, at least as far as the spinys go. I will breed desert iguanas and try my hand at chuckwallas, but I don't think that these little guys make good pets. They are so stressed with handling. They are beautiful, and their behavior is interesting. I just think that they probably do better and have better little lizard lives in the wild, especially if keepers don't give them plenty of space. That can be debatable for potentially interactive lizards that can be taken out of their vivs for visits and a change of scene on a regular basis. Does that make sense? The desert iggies and chucks, and even the collareds adjust well to captive settings and being handled.

I could be totally off base here. Let me know if I am, please!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: Could she be gravid?????? - JasonW, Thu Jun 26 03:41:36 2008