return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

Tips on Sexing and Breeding of Cobras?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Elapidae ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: ToxicLabs at Wed Jun 18 05:16:13 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by ToxicLabs ]  

I currently have a 6 feet 0.1 Black Pak cobra (Naja naja) and an unsexed Suphan cobra (Naja kaouthia) that’s a solid 5 feet and that looks like a male through visually examining him. I would love to make an attempt at breeding these two snakes if I can get some helpful hints on doing so. I've only bred Western diamondback rattlers in the past and this will be a new experience for me, and I have five questions before I can get started.

1. Although I believe the Suphan cobra is a male by the look of it, I haven't probed it to be certain. I do have a probing set, and do have a little experience using these, along with proper safely gear (tube restraints, etc. My question is how far should the probe go in to determine the sex in regards to cobras? Do they go in about the same length as rattlers?

2. Secondly, I know cobras often times enjoy eating other snakes, including other cobras. Are there any tips to help decrease the odds of one eating the other during introduction of the cobras in a single enclosure?

3. In the past for the C. atrox, I would give the snakes a three month resting period with decreased lighting and temperature and without food. Then I would place the male in a smaller enclosure that would then be placed inside of a larger enclosure with the female for a period of about a week so they could slowly get use to each other. I then fed them good, then introduced the male directly in with the female and gently sprayed them down bi-daily with warmed water. Would this also be suffice for introducing the two Najas, or is there a better way?

4. With the Western diamondbacks I used a 4 foot long, 3 foot wide, and 2.5 foot deep enclosure. Is something like this suffice for cobras, or do they need more room when trying to breed them, since they do occasionally have cannibalistic tendencies?

5. Does anyone know what the offspring of a Black Pak X with a Suphan would look like? Is there a name for them?

THANK YOU ALL! It's hard finding good, up to date information on breeding cobras that goes in to any useful detail.

Thanks again!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Tips on Sexing and Breeding of Cobras? - gauger79, Sun Jul 6 14:31:01 2008
>> Next Message:  RE: Tips on Sexing and Breeding of Cobras? - cobrafan, Tue Jul 29 10:53:12 2008