return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Panacur

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Horned Lizards ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: reptoman at Thu Jul 31 11:25:52 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by reptoman ]  

Mark as a general rule I do panacur most of my lizards twice a year, I do believe their is a benefit, and while the discussion went right to nematodes, there are other issues possible such as Fireside is suggesting, our soil here is not desert soil it is Belgian soil which is dark rich soil which I beleive does harbor possibly fungal or even other types of possible ingestants. So I am of the opinion that it might be a good thing always to panacur any wild caught, I just did this to my new yellow head collared after he started eating and has settled down. Actually we have discussed this in the past, I only suggested that it would be interesting of Dr. Snelling or others could comment on this. Or possibly take samples from different areas and actually do a microscopic analysis of some of these different ants. I think it would be facsinating, and I notice that your comment is that your lizards in Arizona do well with not doing anything. Well when I have received wild caught horned lizards here and they are mice and fat, I notice there is a period of time where they lose weight and then I don't believe my ants here are dangerous, thats not the case but I think there is a period of time where they need to get used of the ants here. Maybe this is stupid, certainly its not scientific and just a conjecture on my part, but Mark I have seen this enough to be comfortable with this as a possible explanation, because I do find some reason these lizards lose weight and it takes time to get them up and running. With respect to many or most lizard species it is a normal regimen to panacur a wild caught animal. I usually let them settle down and get acclimated first, but as a general rule I do....ALso Fireside, I have a little secondary 2 ft x 16" plastic container with a clamp light and put my hl's on paper (Paper towel) and give them laced crickets. I want to get some liquid panacur but haven't found it, I will check tractor supply to see if they have it, but then one must be careful with doses. For the sake of this conversation and the sake of those who are intersted in taking good care of their HL's could I suggest if this wouldn't be an imposition and could we take pictures of our methods for panacur, and if you use a dropper or syringe. what size and maybe show a dose, so all of us could be getting nformation that is viable. I don't think many of us Fireside (since this is your are of expertise) understand the dosing, not that we are dumb but usual or often we leave this up to a vet instead of ourselves, however in this case I think it would be helpful to everyone who has chimed in on this if this might be posted either on your site or ours or both with an explanation. IS that something we could do? OR not? Does Melissa Kaplan gave a dose per gram weight of the animal on her site? Just curious. What do you all think?????
-----
www.phrynosoma.org

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Recent Herping - fireside3, Wed Jul 30 04:57:35 2008
<< Previous topic:  about HL prey selection - 53kw, Mon Jul 21 19:59:18 2008