return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Panacur

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Horned Lizards ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: fireside3 at Fri Aug 1 03:52:36 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by fireside3 ]  

Yes, Lou it just so happens I just had some pictures taken during my last treatments so that I could post them soon.

Kaplan lists dose on her site. You can find the information by doing a google for "common reptile drugs". It will come up number 1 in google. But, you can find it elsewhere too. The dosage is 50-100mg/kg.

Assuming you have 10% Panacur ( fenbendazole ) or 100mg/ml concentration: Low side dose, or maintenance dose I refer to it, is 50mg/kg, which for example would amount to .025cc or 2.5 units for a 50g HL.

The high dose will I use pre-hibernation, with new incoming or wild herps, and anytime I spot an infestation. That is 100mg/kg or would amount to .05cc or 5 units for a 50g HL.

I've run through this in a post a few years ago, but you figure this by the formula ( dose x weight / concentration ). For example, a 50g HL you just discovered has nematodes, and you have 100mg/ml concentration fenbendazole. 100mg/kg x .05kg ( 50g/1000=.05kg ) / 100mg/ml = .05cc ( 5 units ).

The period that you are noticing that the reptiles initially go through in the early stages a few months into captivity...this is in fact the very stress related depressive immune effect I am referring to.

See, the reptile is initially stressed very much in the beginning, and it takes some time for these effects to be seen and the body to actually become desensitized to cortisol production, which in the beginning actually gives the animal a burst of energy and boost in immunity. When that desensitization happens though, it will depress immune function and can result in harmful microflora and parasites such as nematodes taking advantage and getting out of control. This is the "opportunity" that opportunistic parasites and pathogens wait for.
-----
www.groups.yahoo.com/group/HornedLizards
www.youtube.com/user/PhrynosomaTexas
Wichita Falls Reptile Rescue
Harvester Ants

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Recent Herping - fireside3, Wed Jul 30 04:57:35 2008
<< Previous topic:  about HL prey selection - 53kw, Mon Jul 21 19:59:18 2008