return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

ACF questions

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Frogs ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Loventa at Fri Aug 1 16:14:57 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Loventa ]  

Hi,
I have a 4-5 yr old female albino ACF in a 30 gallon tank. She used to have a roomie, but after a great escape, he didn't make it. Thing is I recently moved and she's now in my workspace, which can get pretty warm in the summer, since the A/C isn't always on. I also have an algea problem in her tank....I know that algea is actually beneficial and frankly, I think she likes it because it makes the environment more "pond like," so I scrape the sides of the tank, but haven't taken great steps to get rid of it all, but it's the kind of algea that actually grows up almost in little stalks and it grosses me out. She likes eating it though, sometimes in preference to her reptomin sticks. Between the heat & the algea though, despite doing a water change once a week, her tank is starting to get funky. I've used a filter in the past, but find it harder to seal the tank so she can't escape while using one and outside of her tank, my workplace has more places she can get lost. What should I do?

Other thing is, I think she's depressed. Her tank used to be in the middle of my home and it was a loft so she could see all the other animals, the TV and us, now she only sees me when I'm working. It could be the heat/funky water, but her tank got funky in the past and she wasn't as depressed. She won't interact or look at me like she used to and doesn't swim around happily like she used to. She's still eating, but not as much and while she's by no means skinny, the tops of her hips seem to protrude a little too much. I know they are social, but ACF just became illegal in my city, so I have to make an effort to get her a buddy and I want to make sure it's a full grown female to avoid mating issues and her eating a new roomie?

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]