return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Flying Dragon Care?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Lizards - General Forum ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Spawn at Sat Sep 6 17:09:27 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Spawn ]  

Hello:
Flying Dragons (genus Draco) are very interesting animals indeed. I have kept and bred them though they are not without their own unique set of challenges. The main problem is that many of them are in a rundown condition when they arrive from overseas. The main thing that affects them is dehydration. These animals drink more water than lizards 2-3 times their size. I have placed them in holding cages and literally sprayed them for up to half an hour and have them drinking water the whole time. I have had to do this up to several times a day. They usually are okay after about a week. Being small lizards (for the most part) they don't hold a lot of water within their bodies so making sure these lizards, which are found in very high humidity regions of the world have plenty to drink.
On the subject of food there is much controversy as to how to feed them. I have found that they will eat many types of insects and in the case of Flying Dragons; size does matter. The thing about eating ants is that many species of ants are very small which is the size of food they prefer to eat. I have had them gorge themselves on week old crickets by the hundreds. They snap them up and chew them vigorously in their small mouths. Unlike lots of other animals, they usually will not try to eat something too big for them. This is why I think many of them starve to death in captivity. Small food is a must. In my group I was lucky enough to get a colony of Pharoh ants that lived and thrived in a hollow log in the terrarium so I fed the ants, they bred, and the lizards benefitted fom it. the fact is though that they will eat many types of small insects reaadily. One of the things they go nuts over are the little green Leafhoppers that can be found by sweeping tall, grassy fields with an insect net. They also like both wingless and flying fruit flies. I have actually witnessed the "Dragons" catching flying Fruit Flies out of the air.
When it comes to breeding thetre is nothing cooler to watch than the courtship rituyals of Flying Dragons. The males have a dewlap which looks like a thin twig hanging beneath the chin. When courting a female he will dance around her displaying both his dewlap and his wings. He will unfold the wings in front of her and perform pushups to show her the brighter colors on the wings which are hidden when the wings are folded. He will also wave his dewlap towards her and actually bend it to touch the female with.
Though they can be frustrating to work with Flying Dragons are well worth the effort.
I hope this info helps. Have a Great Day!!!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Flying Dragon Care? - kjhill, Fri Sep 14 01:53:00 2012

<< Previous Message:  RE: Flying Dragon Care? - jock, Fri Aug 29 19:57:31 2008