return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

Idea for cooling a viv

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Dart & Mantella Frogs ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: postal at Thu Aug 14 16:26:39 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by postal ]  

Has anyone considered trying this?

Several years ago someone invented a solid state electric cooling element which runs of DC current. There are now portable electric coolers that dont use ice like a normal cooler or ice chest.

I did a quick search and found portable coolers and electric cooled wine racks for $50-80.

I'm considering buying one, tearing it apart to get the cooling elements and controls out of it, and mounting it on the outside backwall or under the the bottom glass in a false bottom.

The idea is to keep the tank cool in summer without wreacking havoc on my electric bill running the air conditioner all the time.... This "thermo electric" solid state device (I dont know the actual material name) uses DC voltage to heat *OR* cool. Reverse the polarity of the current, and it will heat instead of cool. Instead of using an electric heat pad under a viv, tearing apart a cooler or wine chiller can give you heat AND COOL!!!!! The portable coolers have a switch to make them heat instead of cool- Supposed to use very little electricity as well.

I'm waiting to start a new viv build due to lack of funds, but I'm SERIOUSLY thinking about incorporating this into the design.

-------from an online store------ electric wine cooler

List price: $79.99

• Keep your whites chilled at the temperature you prefer in this 8-bottle cellar that fits beautifully in a bar, dining or kitchen setting
• An LED displays temperature and adjustable control; an interior light illuminates the bottles inside
• Features an advanced heat dissipation system and thermoelectric cooling system; compressor-free design operates silently without vibrating
• Tempered glass door; sleek stainless steel exterior in red finish; adjustable level legs; flush back design; UL listed
• 10.7Hx19.6Wx16.2D" See Features and Additional Info for more details. •
----------------------

Whaddya think? Good idea? GREAT IDEA????

regards,
Postal

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]