return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: broken nails mystery?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Spotted, Bog & Wood Turtles ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: emy_did_it at Mon Aug 25 10:47:38 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by emy_did_it ]  

I very much appreciate all the advise. I also checked ATP to see what folks had posted on the topic. She broke off one more nail a few days ago and had not been housed with the male Spotted or the large crayfish since I originally noticed the breakage. This time I actually saw the nail broken/hanging before it fell off. I'm thinking JGsav is on to something with the fungus. It sounds logical to me and at the very least it can't be helping things.

I did notice the blueish tint to her skin and figured she might have some mild fungus. She has been basking quite a bit the last few days and it has improved... but then she seems to go back to her more aquatic habits and the condition worsens again (this has been going on for a few weeks). There is a land portion in the enclosure, but she doesn't really use it yet. I've been taking both her and her mate outside in a plastic tub (separately now) for the last couple months. I usually keep a little water in the tub and it is half covered with moist long-fiber live sphagnum, to help buffer them from potentially overheating. I am planning now to get a second plastic tub that I will use strictly for dry-docking. I will also pick up some Betadine to swab her with prior to dry-docking.

I DO have lots of driftwood in both of their enclosures which could be harboring excessive fungal populations. I've ordered some additional filtration equipment to try and improve water quality. I also try to bake (YES, in the oven) the driftwood occasionally to keep it "cleaner." Incidentally, the crayfish (small ones now) like to scrape it clean (fun to watch).

Ken, I have played with a couple methods for lowering pH including adding Pin Oak acorns to the tank and soaking a sphagnum filled sock in the replacement water, but I think I might give the Blackwater Extract product a try. What would be a good level for keeping pathogens in check (i.e. How low should I go?)?

I have lots of live plants (Duckweed, Coontail, Bladderwort) to help absorb nutrients and provide a potential snack. I would be a bit concerned about adding pond water... for fear of introducing more harmful microbes than beneficial ones, but perhaps its worth a try. I'm sure some of both are introduced with the vegetation anyway.

I just checked the temp of her basking spot (spotlight bulb) and its at ~94.5F at its closest location (she has the option of being further away). She doesn't usually bask there though. The UVB bulbs could probably stand to be a couple inches closer, but they've both been getting outside time. I'll be more concerned come fall/winter time (in Ohio).

I suppose I could go with a completely sterile environment? No driftwood, no substrate, feeding outside the tank, etc... but for me that partially defeats the purpose of keeping turtles and would seem to diminish their quality of life.

I'll keep you posted... and I'm always open to further suggestions! Thanks again.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: broken nails mystery? - jgSAV, Wed Aug 27 10:58:38 2008

<< Previous Message:  RE: broken nails mystery? - curtis9980, Sun Aug 24 21:30:31 2008