return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

New Russ acting weird (long post help)

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Russian & Greek Tortoises ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: twtraudio at Wed Sep 10 20:18:42 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by twtraudio ]  

I have what i was told was a 5 yr old russian tort after failing with a sulcata baby (not my fault the person i bought from gave me wrong info adn got russian as replacement do not reccomend SUBURBAN REPTILE in Plainfield , IL ! Chicago House of Retiles in Orland Park IL ALL THE WAY !)

Anyways she is 700 grams and 6 inches long and I was told im looking at a 20-30 yr old.So she has vet visit tommorow and i have had her for about a week and half. I biuld tort table 39"X19"14". 100 watt basking lamp and 2 foot uvb lamp for art. sun.

The bedding that was suggested is called "Critter Country" and i use timothy hay for hiding. SHe has a littile food dish that i keep water in at the hot side adn the basking spot is 96 adn her side is abouty 75-80 with about 30-50% humidity give or take through out the day and night.

I soak her every 2 days for 20 mins in luke warm and she goes to bathroom. No shell rot but she makes a whoosh noise when she gets startled adn goes into shell this normal? She only wakes up when i get home and take her out of her hole she dug and she will bask for a lil and than eat and that go back to bed. Is this weird that i always have to wake her up? She seems very healthy and i really have been reading so much on these torts my eyes hurt. Every question, suggestion, answer is so greatly appreciated .

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  tortoises in Southern California - wminoc, Mon Oct 20 14:49:04 2008
<< Previous topic:  Russian Estivation Question?? - lizardlance77, Tue Sep 9 15:28:06 2008