return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: How do I care for my hatchling snapper?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Snapping Turtles ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: retaks13mac at Wed Oct 1 15:12:21 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by retaks13mac ]  

Best bet is to start off with the 20 gallon tank because he/she will grow out of the 10 gallon to quick. You do not need any subtrate but they do sometimes like to bury themselves in the rocks. Make sure to keep the water shallow to start him off( i'd say 2 to 4 inches) just until he/she gets a good feel for the water and is able to swim and is comfortable to explore the tank. Keep the water between 72 to 78 degrees as a hatchling. Give him a Natural Sun Light bulb with a rock or two to climb out of the water and get some sun but also have somewhere he can hid to get away from the light as well. The Natural Sun bulb is inportant so his/her shell can develope and harden up. For food put a few guppies in there (buy a dozen or two) but give him reptomin(thats the brand I prefer) 1 to 2 times a day and try to make sure he does eat some of the food. Snapping turtle are pretty dirty so i'd get a filter(just something small like a fuval 1 or 2) That about all I can think of right now, it seems like alot but it really isn't that bad, just keep the water warm and shallow, get a filter and make sure to have a Sunlight bulb. If you have any other questions just ask and ill help best I can.

This is how I have cares for all my snappers since they were hatching and I now how 4 common snappers from 5 to 10 inches, 1 Hypo Snapper that is about 4 inches and a hatching flordia snapper and all are healthy and happy.

Mitch

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  How do I care for my hatchling snapper? - kellywood23, Tue Sep 30 11:33:29 2008