return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: help, sick lizard

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Crested Geckos ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Zarula at Fri Nov 14 19:35:06 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Zarula ]  

It's great that you're doing as others have suggested. I have a couple more things to add/stress.

I would really get on the getting the Crested Gecko Diet, it can be found at PetCo's and Petsmarts in a small bottle, usually yellow or purple cap (it the same stuff, but they just recent changed the labeling). It is a complete diet, and better for them than crickets. It has everything needed, meaning you won't have to add calcium or anything. You might have to mix it up with a bit of babyfood instead of water to get him to eat it at first, but slowly start using less baby food and more water and he should be fine.
I'd just offer it to him for a little bit, spread it thin somewhere so you can see if he is taking licks from the bowl, if not, you can (after a couple days after having it in the cage) just drop some on the tip of their nose which they should lick off to force feed it if you must. (I would avoid this though, as it seems he's pretty stressed already, and stress can make calcium deficiencies worse.)

Another thing is do you have a water bowl available? If you don't, put a shallow dish of water in there. Some breeders say not to include a water bowl and that the water from misting is fine, but I find it beneficial if it is available to them at all times, it also helps the humidity in the cage.

One more point on him shedding, sometimes they don't do so well and some will get stuck on their toes or even around their whole legs, just watch for this. If it is not taken care of it can cut off circulation and they can lose parts of their toes. If you see this, some cool water and rubbing with a q-tip should be fine to get the shed off.

Please keep us posted on how this little guy is doing. I'm glad you came here for help rather than just freezing him,

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: help, sick lizard - mike1234, Fri Nov 14 23:42:44 2008

<< Previous Message:  help, sick lizard - waters954, Wed Nov 12 22:04:24 2008