return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

Entamoeba Invadens--Star Tortoise--Meds

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Turtles ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: platynota at Wed Nov 19 18:24:30 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by platynota ]  

I purchased an Indian Star female this summer that was claimed to be very healthy (via Kingsnake classifieds). She came to me emaciated and looked dehydrated.

I've tried to give her Metronidazole and Panacur in two different treatments over this time. She gained weight (60 grams) and fat, but continues with diarrhea. I took her back to the vet yesterday, and a different vet looked at her. He identified what appears to be Entamoeba invadens (although not certain of the speices). Incidentally, the photo of the entamoeba in his book was from a Star tortoise specimen.

Using a "mini-jimmi" and a 14 gauge metal Avian feeding tube--olive tip--and myself, the doc, and another, we got a full dose of Metrodinazole down her. She'll get another dose tomorrow and Friday.

According to his book, he could only find that Metrodinazole and increasing temperature within her terrarium are the treatments to kill the Entamoeba. He however questioned whether an anti-protozoan medication used for horses and cats/dogs called Marquis (or Ponazuril) could help her...but we don't know if this med has been ever used in chelonians.

GI ulcerations and I believe liver damage will most likely pursue (if not already) if we can't get this taken care of. The good thing is she eats and is very active. I was told that the reptiles will go through a "hibernation" like state when the entamoeba take their worst effects.

Does anyone have any experience with this or recommendations? Write me here or platynota@yahoo.com

Thanks a lot!

Aaron

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Entamoeba Invadens--Star Tortoise--Meds - platynota, Wed Nov 19 18:26:57 2008
>> Next Message:  RE: Entamoeba Invadens--Star Tortoise--Meds - orangudan, Sat Feb 14 21:54:43 2009