return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Newbie-Iguana Care-Help Please

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Iguanas ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: PHFaust at Sat Nov 22 10:57:59 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by PHFaust ]  

Welcome to the world of iguanas. With you having monitors, Im sure you are ready for the size and strength (and quite possibly attitude) that you will be dealing with.

AS to things being contagious, it is possible, but with out knowing what the original animals had, its hard to say. The iguanas could be sick for a variety of reason. The dragon the same. In all reality, the dragon could be the result of poor care, the iguanas could be the result of poor care and habitat. Its all hard to guess. I would monitor this guy carefully for eating, pooping and the like. Since the vast majority of these guys are farm raised, fecal sample to the vet is HIGHLY suggested.

Unlike Monitors, I believe UV is needed. I know many folks who have maintained iguanas without UV, however around 7-10 years they really begin showing a wide variety of health issues. So def go with UV. I know FR did a whole lot of work on UV and monitors, but really no one has experimented with iguanas and the results I have seen in my rescue point to the other answer.

Base temps should be 75-85 with a little higher allowed for babies. Basking I usually keep around 95. I like to keep my humidity around 65-70% if possible. For caging high is always better. They are climbers by nature and prefer to be up high. Of course a high box for security. Always offer a water bowl big enough to soak. I actually offer a small dish so that they may drink. Iguanas are notorious for using the water bowl as a toilet. Keep thinking vegetarian savy.

Feeding is the single most important thing to your iguana. NO animal protein for green iguanas. Here is a breakdown of my diet. I rotate items listed with no single type of item becoming a regular staple.

Greens - Dark leafy greens. Mustard, Dandelion, Kale, Chard, Collard. For example. This week was mustard, next week is collard. This is about 50% of the diet. The base of it if you will. Chopped by knife depending on size. My adults get approx 1 inch sq pieces.
Veges
Squash - Acorn, butternut, carnival, spaghetti, etc. Rotate between. Skinned and chopped in food processor
Jicima/Sweet Potatoes/Yams, washed any nubby parts removed, chopped in food processor
Green Beans/Bell Peppers/Cilantro/Jicima, washed and cleaned then chopped in food processor.
Fruits
Kiwi, Berries, Bananas, apples, pears, mangos, papayas. All washed, pitted and chopped in food processor.

I also offer catcus pads and prickley pears. I use a torch to burn off the prickers and then toss in food processors. Some of the items we use may be harder to find, I live in a ethnic area, so some of the more exotic foods are easier to find where I am at.

I LOVE this product by tupperware call the Fridge Smart and use it on both my chopped greens and veges. It keeps them good longer than just plain storage so I can do all the work on the weekends and serve it up. Greens I do twice a week here, but veggies and fruit I do once.

Books that may be of help are Iguanas For Dummies and Green Iguana; The Ultimate Owners Manual

I have also attached the direct link to the Iguana Care Feeding and Socialization Manual.

Ok so now go read and report back with questions.
Comprehensive Iguana article

-----
Cindy
PHFaust

Email Cindy

Land of the Outcasts!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE:Thanks to both of you. - FutureBoaBreeder, Sat Nov 22 19:29:02 2008

<< Previous Message:  Newbie-Iguana Care-Help Please - FutureBoaBreeder, Fri Nov 21 15:38:57 2008