return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: baby turtles with fish

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Turtles ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: zgehasz at Tue Dec 23 14:35:04 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by zgehasz ]  

I have left mine alone now with 4 small algae eaters, two loaches, a blood parrot and a ceverum. All in the 55gal with the fluval FX5. A few things to make the water less turbulent would be to put the output and inputs at the bottom of the tank with the filter intake module covered 75% with large(1-3in) rocks. THis keeps current at bottom and redirects it into the rocks. My little guys swim all over the tank now and they are strong little swimmers at that. I have witnessed them swim down till they were pressed against the intake ( which is mostly covered in rocks) then swim right back up. The fish don't mess with the turtles because of the species. (blood parrot no teeth/ceverum very shy and quick/algaes too small/loaches too small) and because they have been together now for a while, the turtles swim with the fish, climb on them etc, I have even tried getting the turtle to attack a fish but for now they have no interest. I'm even pretty sure that the blood parrot acts like a guardian, protecting the little turts from any curiosity displayed by the other fish. My only problem is they like each others food, if I try giving turtles shrimp snack the fish try to get up and eat it, when I feed fish the turtles try to eat it. I've had to move my main feeding to a second bowl option, I just fill a 6in pyrex bowl with tank water and in turn put the turtles in to eat their food, this revents the fish from eating their main staple. My little guys are growing fast, they are already twice the size as when I got them, and they swim like crazy. Remember that if you raise them in a little rough water, they will become better swimmers/stronger. I also leave my topfin 60 rim filter running which waterfalls very turbulent water on one side of the tank, they used to hate it, now it doesn't even phase them, and they actually use the waterfall turbulence as a sort of slide or ride.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: baby turtles with fish - anthonyf78, Wed Dec 24 03:04:14 2008

<< Previous Message:  RE: baby turtles with fish - anthonyf78, Mon Dec 22 17:23:09 2008