return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Thanks - Trust me I know my DK's

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Small Terrestrial Snakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: billysbrown at Fri Dec 19 12:35:41 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by billysbrown ]  

This is really cool. What strikes me as the best part of this is that it can solve the "what to do during the winter when there are no slugs" problem - freeze a few slugs or just slug puree and use it to scent.

I'm still not sure I'd do it year-round, though. You mentioned the point that pinkie parts are probably more nutrient-dense than worms and slugs, but that might not necessarily be a good thing. Storeria have evolved digestive systems that deal with the goo they usually slurp up, and I could imagine that mammal parts might be too rich for them. An experiment is the way to tell, and I'm curious to see what happens when you take a few of the neonates and adults and raise them on pinky parts rather than slugs and worms.

Again, well done, and I hope to copy you in the future.

Billy
-

Phillyherping

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  Thanks - Trust me I know my DK's - dekaybrown, Tue Dec 16 05:26:49 2008 image in post