return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

Our Pure Red N.T. Frillie pics

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Frilled Dragons ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: bob at Mon Dec 22 10:30:01 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by bob ]  

Its been about 7 yrs since I got out of my frilled dragons but they are still my all time favorite lizard. Seems I still get a lot of emails about them from many people. I figured I would share some of my pictures and experiences with these wonderful lizards with all of you. This picture is a picture of 1.1 Pure NT red Aussie, I acquired in a trade back in the late 90's, I had the opportunity to work with them for several years, I had already been breeding and hatching many frillies since 1992 all 3 phases, the New Guinea's were my first and the yellow phase Aussie were second and my third and final were the additions of the pure red NT frillies. With my Red group we had 2 females, One very large 1250 gram female and a CB young female. Due to problems with the young CB female she died, the Vet said she basically got stuck on the ovulation mode and it killed her as she swelled up like a balloon in size. The second old female which never produced an egg in the 5-6 yrs the previous owner had her did produce one egg for us the size of the pure red egg was enormous in comparison to both the New Guinea phase and the yellow Aussie phase. The old female died within a couple of days of laying this one large egg, after a necropsy she did not have any other eggs in her, we feel she was just old and until this day she remains the largest frilled dragon I have ever seen at 1250 grams. We did manage to cross our yellow Aussie with the pure red males we had, the hatchlings did not appear any different looking than either of the other 2 phases until they reached 3-6 months of age and started to show some red coloration on the entire body similar to sandfire bearded's dragons, They turned out to be nice looking frillies but lacked the awesome looking jet black stomachs that the pure red adults had. We raised up a group of the crosses and bred the female crosses back to another pure red male as we had 4 pure red males to work with. After hatching and raising these double crosses up we noted that they to had the jet black stomachs like the pure red phase had, at this point they were 75% red phase but looked darn near pure red. After a trip working overseas for 4 months our hired caretaker did not take very good care of our frillies, upon returning home we had only a couple left and decided to move on into our other passions which are Aussie dwarf monitors with the rock monitors being our specialty. We also advanced our heloderma breeding efforts and produced the new world record clutch of 20 beaded lizards from one huge single clutch in 2006.It's nice to see the enthusiasm of others with the frilled dragons but unfortunately I am disheartened by the fact that another breeder and myself produced so many crosses and myself even double crosses that we sold over the years and they have all but vanished, some of the remaining progeny people have produced seem to have lost there real red colors maybe due to crossing with normal frillies? Maybe someday they will be available like the ones I remember?
Seasons Greeting's
Robert Sutton
Maxian's Collection hila100000@aol.com

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Our Pure Red N.T. Frillie pics - reedsdragons08, Wed May 6 00:01:38 2009