return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Martir range . . .

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Mountain Kingsnakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Paul Lynum at Sat Jan 31 12:15:11 2009  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Paul Lynum ]  

Hi guys,

Jerry, got your voicemail and thought I should check this forum. Check your voice mail. I'm going camping in the Santa Ana Mountains today camping and tomorrow. I'll be home Monday. Try me at home then.

As far as Baja and the Martirs go........Baja has always had scary news going on down there since I made my first trip there in 1991 and the Martirs in 1992. I haven't really had and scary incidents in Baja but, have had my share with "bad" cops several times that cost me a bribe at the cops request! $40 usaully cleared that up. All of these occured in Tijuana except for one down in the town of Todos Santos near the cape back in 95. Compton and L.A. have the same problems everyday. At least in the states you have rights. Mainland is a different story.

The Martirs are indeed and much more rugged and steeper than the Juarez. Snakes including agalma in the Juarez are numerous and with the right condtions easy to find. I've never observed so many herps in one day as I have in the Juarez. You can't compare the Juarez with the Martir. Herps and animals alike are far and few between in the Martirs. It took me three days to find my first Martir Agalma. Since 1992 I've been to the Martirs numerous times as well as the rest of Baja. My average finding Martir agalma is one a day and it's alot of hard work and I know where they are. I've observed about 20 of them now. I love the place but, I hate it at the same time lol. For me, it's like looking for Mount Hamilton zonata. Lot's of work and if extremely lucky you'll find one. As far as going to collect.........I recomend if you are fortunate enough to find one, leave it. I've made the mistake not one but twice getting caught bringing animals back and I can truely say it's not worth it. Buy captive stock if you can find it. It will also be cheaper on the pocket book. If you chose to go to the Martirs, enjoy the place. It's something else.

PL

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  Great post -- - JKruse, Sat Jan 31 14:52:49 2009

<< Previous Message:  Martir range . . . - JKruse, Thu Jan 22 21:59:15 2009