return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

Decisions.

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Anoles ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: AndrewFromSoCal at Fri Jan 30 02:32:15 2009  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by AndrewFromSoCal ]  

Before I begin, let me ask one thing: Spare me the hate.

I've got three Green Anoles, i've had them for over a year, and I do not think they are for me. I purchased the trio (who at the time I thought was 2.1, but is 1.2) on a whim, because I decided I wanted some Anoles, and by God, I figured i'd make it happen.

Unfortunately, this was a bit short sighted. All of my other reptiles are nocturnal, and since I am a student, I am away during the day when my Anoles are active. Also, i've provided so much cover for my Anoles that I cannot see their activities (good for them, bad for me.)

I've been lusting over some frogs since before the days of the Anoles, but figured it was always too hot here in my house to have them. Fortunately, I have a species that wouldn't so much mind the heat.

Which is where my problem comes into full fruitation. I do not know what to do with the Anoles.

Let me first say that I feel like a huge (insert explicit) already, for even thinking of getting rid of my Anoles. I just feel like some one else could enjoy them more.

So, here are the two options I have come up with:

1) Find a new home for the Anoles.
2) Get one frog that has a similar habitat to the Anoles, and have them co-habitate. (The cage they're currently in is a 29g tall)

But, I have also realized there are some problems with this.

1) I am a little worried about giving the Anoles away. I believe some people see them as "throw away" lizards, and I know some people use them as food. Neither of these options is suitable. They have a very good life here, and I wouldn't expect any less from a prospective home.

2) I know the cage is decently sized if I were to only add one frog, but I am not sure on the stress that would cause for all of the inhabitants. The only co-housed cage i've ever had was a Crested Gecko with a millipede, and they were each using a different niche of the environment.

I know this has been long and drawn out, but I thank anyone who reads this, and welcome any suggestions. If you can, please avoid trying to browbeat me in any way. You must realize that sometimes, decisions just don't work out for an individual.

Thanks,
Andrew.
-----
2.1 Corn Snakes
1.2 Leopard Geckos
1.1 Crested Geckos
1.2 Green Anoles
1.0 Russian Tortoise
3.1 House Cats
0.0.1 African Millipede

RIP
Alice, Bruno, Lars, Snakey, Elizabeth