return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: poor tongue shot

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Chameleons ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: bigdogreps at Thu Feb 19 06:53:53 2009  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by bigdogreps ]  

Definitely a. What I dont know is if this was an injury of sorts, or a genetic defect that I failed to notice initially as I had many babies, or a nutritional issue that is only effecting a small amount. wish I knew more of the mechanics of how the tongue works. I have the basic idea but you would think if it was a muscular issue the tongue would lose its ability to shoot and actually hang out of its mouth. It almost seems the tongue is too short as it only extends past the tip of their snout. In the wild they would quickly perish but in captivity no problem running over to the corner of the cage and grabbing the excess of food always available to them so they easily thrive and these "defected" chams are doing very well. If I knew for sure it was a genetic thing I would not want to perpetuate this gene but according to another very large breeder I talked to who has seen it all it is not uncommon to have genetic flaws in a clutch that does not present itself in the parents and only effects a small percentage of the clutch. You just dont know but my goal is to thrive for excellence in my breeding stock.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: poor tongue shot - Carlton, Thu Feb 19 12:11:52 2009

<< Previous Message:  RE: poor tongue shot - Carlton, Wed Feb 18 19:21:38 2009